Bay Area Linux Users Group (BALUG)
Got fortune cookie?
We generally meet monthly
in San Francisco (in/near SOMA/Chinatown area, near downtown).
We also operate several
meets the third Tuesday of each month.
We talk about
Linux and related topics,
and we typically share ample portions of food (e.g. Chinese).
We typically have a speaker/presentation for our meetings
(generally starting around the tail end of dinner or immediately following
In any case, with or without a speaker/presentation arranged and scheduled,
our meetings include good people, and interesting conversations.
And if we haven't announced/posted a
speaker/presentation, don't let that fool you - sometimes we manage to score an
excellent speaker/presentation (e.g. at the last minute) without our having
managed to get it posted onto the web site and an announcement sent out in advance.
Please RSVP if you're planning to attend.
Meeting kicks off at 6:30 P.M. - we start
with meet and greet and chat and such,
then proceed with dining around 7:00 P.M. for dinner
- please arrive before 7:00 P.M. if you want to join us for dinner.
Please RSVP if you're planning to attend.
To do so please e-mail us a note at
indicating meeting date.
If you'll be bringing additional guest(s) please let us know total number of folks you're RSVPing for.
Also please let us know any special requirements or concerns you may have (e.g. if you have any particular dietary considerations,
so that we might possibly be able to accommodate you,
or if you won't be dining with us
but do wish to otherwise join our meeting).
dinner costs? May vary - see venue for more information (we may dine and share "family" style and split up the costs, if folks are agreeable to that
- for Henry's Hunan Restaurant, typical cost per
person including tax and tip (but not including beverages beyond
complementary tea) would be in the $13.00 to $20.00 range, and
commonly around $15.00 to $17.00. Cash may be preferred to ease
splitting up the check. One can also specifically order the
dish(es) one needs/prefers (e.g. for dietary considerations) - and
we also commonly order some dish(es) that may meet various dietary
considerations (e.g. vegetarian, non-pork, ...)).
Be sure to note future meetings on your calendar:
- Please RSVP (including indicating date) for meetings you plan to attend - Thank You
Don't have a specific
speaker/presentation lined up for this meeting, however ...
We do have several interesting suggested topics of discussion,
so we'll likely talk about any and/or all of these, and possibly
Leftovers+: last month we had
Spooky, Scary, from Hell IT/Linux stories,
but too many good stories, too little time - covered lots,
but there are more tales to be told ... and some were
saving best for last - so I'm sure there's also yet more
interesting/juicy tales to be told. And, to thematically
add a bit to that:
Turkey of a Linux/IT story - tell us your
"turkey" stories -
that were quite the turkeys.
Year end wrap-up - no December meeting,
so any odds 'n ends to wrap up, summarize for the year,
plans for next year and directions for BALUG, etc.
Maybe too some bit about some other Bay Area LUG(s).
Smoke gets in my eyes (etc.). Disaster recovery
and such. (Is your LUG backed up? What about ...?
What happens when conditions are such that >85% of your
workforce can't make it in (smoke, their kids schools
are all shut down, roads are one-way evacuation routes
away from work site ...)).
- 2018-12-18 - No December meeting! (we typically skip December - watch our "announce" list for details/updates and/or check back here)
BALUG generally meets the third Tuesday of each month.
Subscribe to our
list to learn of upcoming meetings and speakers/presentations.
Meeting venue (at least until further notice or otherwise noted):
Henry's Hunan Restaurant
110 Natoma St. (between 2nd & New Montgomery, not to be confused with their other locations)
San Francisco, CA 94105-3704
Dinner costs? We typically share and dine "family style" and split up the costs, for folks are agreeable to that (folks may also order item(s) specifically for themselves - e.g. if they have specific dietary restrictions).
BALUG Mailing Lists
BALUG Mailing Lists:
Note that all of the above lists are publicly archived - so one can search them and/or get an idea of traffic volume, what lists one may be most interested in, etc.
Note that most of the lists can also be subscribed to as a digest version (e.g. if one wants all the items on the list to be combined into a single mailing when the list (e.g. "talk") might sometimes be very "chatty").
- BALUG-Announce ("announce") - low-volume announce-only (non-discussion) mailing list (e.g. important announcements about meeting programs and other BALUG newsy/noteworthy items; if you subscribe to any of our lists, you'll want to include this one)
- BALUG-Talk ("talk") general public BALUG, Linux and related discussion (see the URL for policies)
- BALUG-Admin ("admin") - administrivia (for those interested in the inner workings of the BALUG group)
- BALUG-Test ("test")- for testing purposes
In conjunction with
we will help you install Linux.
Volunteering and helping BALUG
We could also always use more volunteers to make BALUG even better!
Some of the tasks which could use more volunteers include:
- help arrange speakers/presentations for our meetings (help refer to us, coordinate schedules, etc.)
- publicity (helping us get information out in as timely a manner as feasible, and in as many places as appropriate)
- website: webmaster and/or assistance with routine updates/additions
- writing up meeting "minutes" (brief summaries of meeting highlights - e.g. information on presentations, interesting/noteworthy discussions/topics, etc.; suitable for web use, or even just rough notes on the relevant items)
- mailing list maintenance
If you're at all interested in helping with any and/or all of the above,
please contact BALUG contact.
Were you looking for something quite different, but landed here?
If you're looking for
The San Francisco Bay Area LEGO® Users' Group and Train Club,
that's over at:
Need to contact BALUG?: BALUG contact
Interested in speaking at BALUG or know a good speaker/presenter for BALUG? contact speaker coordinators. If one will be speaking or is considering speaking at BALUG, see also: Speaker-Presenter Information and REsources (SPIRE)
Web questions/issues? contact balug-webmaster