🇺🇦Bay Area Linux Users Group (BALUG)
We generally meet monthly.
We also operate several
EFFECTIVE 2020-05-17 MEETINGS RESUME IN-PERSON! (virtual also remains)
meets the third Tuesday of each month.
We talk about
Linux and related
We commonly have a speaker/presentation for our meetings.
In any case, with or without a speaker/presentation arranged and scheduled,
our meetings include good people, and interesting conversations.
And if we haven't announced/posted a
speaker/presentation, don't let that fool you - sometimes we manage to score an
excellent speaker/presentation (e.g. at the last minute) without our having
managed to get it posted onto the web site and an announcement sent out in advance.
Meeting starts promptly at 6:00 P.M. - note this is new time. Punctual arrival recommended for optimal dining experience.
We dine, and following that (approximately 7:00 P.M.) have our presentation/talk, or more informal talk/discussion if we don't have a particularly presentation/talk/presenter or special guest arranged.
Be sure to note future meetings on your calendar:
- 2022-06-21 Discussion, etc.:
- DNS add/drop zones dynamically (Michael Paoli, with mini-demo on BIND9)
- other topics as folks wish to discuss, stories to share, etc.
BALUG generally meets the third Tuesday of each month.
Subscribe to our
list to learn of upcoming meetings and speakers/presentations.
Henry's Hunan Restaurant
110 Natoma St. (between 2nd & New Montgomery, not to be confused with their other location(s))
San Francisco, CA 94105-3704
Dial-in numbers also available at the URL.
Please use earbud(s)/headphone(s) or mute yourself
to avoid audio feedback issues,
also please if you have background sound/noise issues
mute yourself when not talking.
Generally works quite fine with reasonably modern
Firefox Chrome/Chromium, Microsoft Edge, possibly others (requires
(can also do some testing here:
Probably don't worry about minor items like "Reflexive connectivity"
from desktop, laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.
BALUG Mailing Lists
BALUG Mailing Lists:
Note that all of the above lists are publicly archived - so one can search them and/or get an idea of traffic volume, what lists one may be most interested in, etc.
Note that most of the lists can also be subscribed to as a digest version (e.g. if one wants all the items on the list to be combined into a single mailing when the list (e.g. "talk") might sometimes be very "chatty").
- BALUG-Announce ("announce") - low-volume announce-only (non-discussion) mailing list (e.g. important announcements about meeting programs and other BALUG newsy/noteworthy items; if you subscribe to any of our lists, you'll want to include this one)
- BALUG-Talk ("talk") general public BALUG, Linux and related discussion (see the URL for policies)
- BALUG-Admin ("admin") - administrivia (for those interested in the inner workings of the BALUG group)
- BALUG-Test ("test")- for testing purposes
In conjunction with
we will help you install Linux.
Volunteering and helping BALUG
We could also always use more volunteers to make BALUG even better!
You can do useful and cool stuff volunteering to help BALUG!
Quite a variety of opportunities to help BALUG, e.g.:
- assist or lead on speaker coordination/procurement, etc. (help arrange, refer to us, coordinate schedules, etc.)
- venue arrangement (e.g. followup on potential leads, on-site coordination/preparations) and the like, for now and/or in future
- publicity (e.g. helping us get information out in as timely a manner as feasible, and in as many places as appropriate)
- website: webmaster and/or assistance with routine updates/additions designer, graphic artist
- Linux Systems Administration (e.g. do/assist/learn, with/under some quite experienced and skilled Linux systems administrator(s)).
- writing up meeting "minutes" (brief summaries of meeting highlights - e.g. information on presentations, interesting/noteworthy discussions/topics, etc.; suitable for web use, or even just rough notes on the relevant items)
- mailing list maintenance
- chief/assistant cat herder
- and other various/miscellaneous tasks BALUG would like to be doing (also feel free to suggest ideas!)
If you're at all interested in helping with any and/or all of the above,
or more, or looking for more information,
please drop us a note
talk to us at a meeting.
Got fortune cookie?
Were you looking for something quite different, but landed here?
If you're looking for
The San Francisco Bay Area LEGO® Users' Group and Train Club,
that's over at:
Need to contact BALUG?: BALUG contact
Interested in speaking at BALUG or know a good speaker/presenter for BALUG? contact speaker coordinators. If one will be speaking or is considering speaking at BALUG, see also: Speaker-Presenter Information and REsources (SPIRE)
Web questions/issues? contact balug-webmaster